Sunday, February 15, 2009

Put Your House In Order

I almost didn't write this post because it seems like such a no brainer...something we've all heard before. But then again, I said the sole purpose for starting this blog is to let others know what The Lord is teaching me through the loss of my friend, Jimmy. The first real hard lesson I learned came last Sunday about 1 pm, less than 12 hours after his passing from this life. A group of us from the church gathered at the York home, consoling the family, grieving our own loss, and preparing for the unimaginable - leading Jimmy's family through this dark and difficult time. First order of business: the York family finances. If that seems a little abrupt, try telling the mortgage company and utilities providers you're in mourning and will pay them when it all gets better.

So there we were, a small group of guys and girls hoping it was all there - the life insurance, the income tax documents for this year, the bills, the dredit (that was a type-o, but I like it so much I'm leaving it in place!) card statements. Jimmy handled the finances for his family even though his wife, Tricia, is a more than capable accountant. She had faith in him and, as it turned out, that faith was well placed. We all knew Jimmy was an organized guy. A place for everything and everything its place and all that. But what we found was astounding.

Jimmy was more than organized - he was meticulous. Not OCD, but clearly conscientious about his family's financial affairs. He had a file folder in the home computer listing all the passwords for every account. He had hard copies in files, in alphabetical order, of every utility, every credit card or other debt, of all the investments...he even had the February bills pre-paid via online banking draft. This guy even had his income tax return filed and had his refund check appropriately applied to eliminate some debt they incurred last year fixing their house up. It was stunning to see the level of commitment the man made to something I dare say most of us hate and give little thought to...paying bills and keeping records.

Jimmy's financial house was in order. He certainly did not know he would be leaving so soon. He could not have even suspected it, but he took seriously the responsibility of leaving his family in good shape just in case. Jimmy spoke passionately about how we can change the world if we men would simply step up and own the role God gave us as leaders of our households. Here's the thing...he didn't just speak about it; he lived it. Even in the tiniest details. Even in the most unlikely of scenarios.

Let me tell you how much relief there was in that room last Sunday when we found what Jimmy had done. Let me tell you how much simpler it has been this week to help Tricia wrap her mind around her new and unexpected situation. Let me tell you how ministry was made easier all week knowing that there were no surprises looming on the family's financial frontiers.

Fellas - get your financial house in order. Be the leader God has called you to be. If you aren't the C.F.O. of your family, fine, but get over what God has put under you and lead your wife and family. Get involved in the decisions. Make plans. Ge the dreaded financial planner over tot he house and be sure you have the right life insurance in place. You don't know the number of the days of your lives. We are all one heart palpitation away, one unknown germ away, one drunk driver away from the unimaginable. Don't wait. Don't think to yourself that what I'm saying sounds like good advice. Close this screen and go start gathering that mess of papers together. Sort them out, file them, set up online banking, get auto drafts working, and be sure the will, the life insurance and all the passwords are in a safe, secure location that your wife knows about and can get to.

No, seriously. Go now. Bye...

6 comments:

  1. Todd - You're advice, and Jimmy's example, got me into motion. I actually came home after talking with you and went through all those many drawers of crap to start going through them. I'm organized. Rather, I should say, I know where everything is. I'm working now to make sure Carissa does too. Thank you for the lessons. Keep 'em comin'! Because I know Jimmy has more for us to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the challenge. I just printed off my list of passwords for J. Lee (since I am the one who takes care of all of this stuff) and put them in the safe in case he ever needs them. I wouldn't have done it if you hadn't prompted me. My account info is stored on my computer, but if it shuts down, no one remembers my password, so I put that at the top. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Todd. Why have i not made this more of a priority??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this blog and sharing what you are learning through this difficult time. It is not only cathartic for you, but for me also. My heart overflows with joy to see how Jimmy's life is impacting others, even though he is no longer physically on this earth. I know that Jimmy is SO proud of you and so am I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was 14 years old, we found out my Dad had lung cancer and had months to live. One of the first things he did (after taking his family on a vacation to Hawaii) was create a document for his wife, my mom, listing in one place a picture of our entire financial landscape. All accounts, account numbers, passwords, and contact information was listed for each and every thing we had going on. He also listed people he trusted to help my Mom make tough financial and life decisions in the days and months after his death.

    I would recommend everyone do something like this because as you said Todd, we don't know how long we have left and we need to make sure our spouse is prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Todd....after reading this I could not go to sleep till all my account info and then some was in it's place. Go Jimmy for making us get our stuff together! And thanks Todd for pouring out your thoughts......they are good to hear.
    Vic

    ReplyDelete