Saturday, March 14, 2009

Legacy Part One

Jimmy York was a man deeply intrigued and involved with legacy.

Legacy is a word with big meaning. It seems so lofty. Leaving a legacy seems like it might be an unattainable goal. But we all have legacy as a part of our lives. Those who have gone before us left a legacy that we are now a part of. And each of us leaves a legacy to the generations who will follow us. We are all legacy leavers and legacy receivers.

In the Marriage That Lasts class that Jimmy helped develop and teach at Fellowship Church, legacy was defined as living our lives in such a way that we are a blessing to others now and for generations to come. If you are reading this blog then you knew or knew of Jimmy York. And if you knew or knew of Jimmy York then you have been blessed by him. In fact, many who have never known or heard the name Jimmy York have been blessed by his influence in the lives of the people God placed around him in his 33 years of life. Jimmy left a legacy. In fact, I would say that Jimmy lived a legacy.

Let that soak in for a minute. He lived the legacy he wanted to leave. Wow! I hope someone can say that about me some day, don't you?

It is my intent to share what I am learning about how Jimmy lived the legacy. This will be a multi-post series so I ask that you bear with me and check in often. Along the way I will share the people, resources, and Scripture verses that are shaping my understanding. I will tell you how I saw Jimmy change over the years as he embraced and engaged the legacy he wanted to leave. And I hope, through it all, we will gain an incredible understanding and insight we can apply to living our legacy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment